Defence, labour ministers fired

STAFF REPORTER

MASERU – Labour and employment minister, Keketso Rantšo, and the Minister of Defence and National Security Prince Maliehe were on Wednesday reportedly booted out of Prime Minister Dr Moeketsi Majoro’s cabinet with immediate effect.

In brief letters to the two minister, circulating in social media platforms today, Majoro says he has advised King Letsie III, as appointing authority, to release the ministers from their offices as minister of the government of Lesotho  pursuant to Section 87 (7) (d) of the country’s constitution.

“I take this opportunity to thank you for the service you rendered as a minister of the government,” Majoro said in the letters.

Rantšo was appointed minister on June 23, 2017, following the 2017 snap elections. She is also a Member of Parliament representing the Reformed Congress of Lesotho (RCL) political party, of which she is the leader – the RCL is part of the current coalition government.

Maliehe was sworn in as defence minister in May, 2020, as part of Prime Minister Majoro’s new cabinet after being elected former Prime Minister Motsoahae Thabane replacement after Thabane was forced out of government. Maliehe had been a Thabane loyalist who quit the camp amid allegations that the former premier had conspired to murder his wife – and faced prosecution.

He was public works minister in Thabane’s government, joining the new team together with three other ministers from the collapsed cabinet. He is an All Basotho Convention stalwart that is senior partner in the current coalition.

Asked to confirm these developments this evening, the prime Minister’s press attaché, Buta Moseme, told Public Eye that “my office isn’t aware of it, but I will find out the truth behind it.”

 

 

 

 

 

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published.