Maseru – Labour minister Keketso Rants’o together with minister of health Nkaku Kabi and the Director General of Health Services Dr Nyane Letsie yesterday met Thetsane factory workers to allay fears the dreaded coronavirus could have landed in Lesotho.
The three told a press conference held at TZ Factory Garments in Ha Thetsane the government of Lesotho has begun screening incoming travellers, especially from China, to ensure the virus does not enter the country.
“We have put put in place equipment and trained personnel at all the designated ports of entry and at Moshoeshoe I International Airport” Dr Letsie said.
The government has asked medical suppliers to carry out a risk assessment on the impact of the coronavirus and travel restrictions introduced by Chinese government. Dr Letsie also stated that the main signs of infection include fever, coughing as well as shortness of breath and breathing difficulties.
“Anyone experiencing symptoms even mild, after travelling from mainland China, Thailand, Japan, Republic of Korea, Taiwan and Singapore could likely be affected by this corona virus” Nkabi said. The death toll in mainland China has reached more than 1000 after 108 people died from the virus on Monday, the highest daily toll in a day since the outbreak began late last year in the central Chinese city of Wuhan.