MASERU – Police in Maseru are investigating a case of murder, attempted murder and suicide after a toddler and its mother dies last week after allegedly taking poison.
A four-year-old boy from Ha Mabote is fighting for his life in Tsepong hospital after surviving the poisoning, thanks to a hero neighbour who alerted his father to the tragedy unfolding next door.
Police spokesman Senior Inspector Rankoane Motsoetla said the boy’s 18-month-old sister died on arrival at hospital, while the mother’s body was found near Durham Link in Maseru, the following day, June 9.
Police said the man found his two children vomiting at home after a neighbour called him to rush home to investigate noises emanating from his house.
The boy told his father their missing mother had given them some milk to drink.
Senior Inspector Motsoetla appealed to couples to resolve differences amicably or seek arbitration instead of dragging children into their disputes.
Police suspect the mother took the same poison as there were no signs of blunt trauma on her body.